Sunday, November 6, 2011

Clothes of the working Buckaroo

The clothing of the working Buckaroo is much different then what you see in most Western movies. (Except for the very accurate Tom Selleck movies, because he makes it a point to get it right).
It is also different then other regions, the Texas cowboy is more about function then craftsmanship. The Buckaroo likes style, function and craftsmanship. Everything a Buckaroo wears has multiple purposes and still incorporate style and usually a bit of flash.

The hat: The hat of a Buckaroo is usually flat brimmed and flat topped. This is for more coverage from the elements. The hat is usually turned up in the back to cast rain in one direction. Most Buckaroos have two hats, a white one for summer and a black one for winter. They are made of fur felt, which is a blend of beaver and other fur into a tight fiber. Felt is the perfect material because of its strength and comfort, not to hot in the summer and plenty warm in the winter. These flat brimmed hats make Buckaroos easy to spot and recognize.

The Wild rag: The wild rag is a neckerchief made of silk. Silk is used because its durable, comfortable and looks good. These rags can be worn in two ways. The first way is like a loosely fitting tie, with the body of the rag draped over your back. The second way is how I have it in the picture, you place the body of the rag in front, bring it around your neck and tie a square knot in the front. This is the style preferred by most Buckaroos.

Wranglers or Levis: This has been the long debate between Buckaroos. Some swear by their Wranglers and other their Levis, and then there is the select weirdos who wear Dickies. There is no winning this debate, but for the record Wranglers are the only way to go.  

10 comments:

  1. I love your blog! Your pictures are great, and really helped me to get a better feel of what a 'buckaroo' is. You seem to be a bit of an expert on this topic, why is that? Did you grow up as a buckaroo? Also-how does one become a buckaroo? Is it a lifestyle that you are born into to? Thanks Jeremiah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not born into it, I worked my way into the role and anyone who has a love for that lifestyle and the skill and work ethic can become a Buckaroo. And maybe some connections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know there were different types of ranchers/cowboys/buckaroos. Let alone I didn't even know what Buckaroo was. That is until I read your blog and it's great. I learned something awesome today.I've always wanted to know the life of a Buckaroo so thanks for giving an inside look.I know you said you can work into becoming a Buckaroo but what does it take to become a true Buckaroo? Im not just talking about clothes either(although I like the taste of a Buckaroo by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horsemanship is one of the number one skills of a Buckaroo. Also Buckaroos pride themselves with great roping skills, using longer ropes and different techniques to rope cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you say responsiblity and dedication is also a big part of becoming a Buckaroo?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lived in Salmon, Idaho during my high school years, and if there was one apparent lifestyle choice in that area it was the buckaroo. I didn't grow up around horses or ranching/farming, but had a desire to learn the ropes (pun intended). It seemed like it was really easy for the kids that grew up on ranches to blend into that lifestyle. I felt so out of place and clueless at times, but always (and still to this day...) would love to learn more about the life of a buckaroo. Did you find it difficult to get into 'buckaroo-ing' (if that is even a word...) since you lived in the city? It seems like it would be a bit of a challenge to find someone in this area adapted to that particular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely, some ranches can reach sizes upwards of 400,000 acres so you are responsible for yourself and doing your job. No ones there to micro manage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know much about this topic even though I grew up in a town of 3,500 people and a lot of my friends are ranchers. My town is surrounded by ranches. Even the gold mines that surround my town have ranches. You are very informed on your topic. I am a country girl at heart and even though you are from Boise I feel like you are more country than me lol. Did you rodeo? What started your interest in being a buckaroo?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I mutton busted as a kid if that counts,but no I don't really rodeo, even though I can throw a rope with the best of 'em. I've always been a Buckaroo at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Canary: It really is world all of its own. But it's mostly all like minded people and they really don't care where you came from as long as you have the right attitude. I was born in the city but I'm not a city person. And yes I've gotten my share of slack for it.

    ReplyDelete